25°53'18.16" S 28°13'54.32" E Alt: 1461m
In 1908 General Smuts built this house known as the Big House. The wood-and-iron building is of historical interest as it was originally a campaign building in India, demounted and re-erected as an officers' mess at Lord Kitchener's headquarters at Middelburg (Mpumalanga). Over the years, rooms were added and verandahs enclosed. It is a large house with 11 bedrooms. As Field Marshall, the Right Honourable Jan Christiaan Smuts, second Prime Minister of the Union of South Africa and a prominent figure in world affairs, lived in this house for a considerable part of his adult life. It was the only permanent home he knew after he left his father's farm.
(Richardson, 2001: 206)
The house also contains Smuts' extensive personal library.
See also Jan Smuts' birthplace, Bovenplaats, in Riebeek West, Western Cape.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry
Contact Artefacts please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.