Mattheus Carel August MEISCHKE: Contractor
This double-storey building was erected in late 1897 and completed in 1898. The foundation stone for the post office was laid on 15 December 1897 by CF Obermeyer, Superintendent Engineer of Public Works of the Zuid-Afrikaansche Republiek. Besides the Rissik Street Post Office (1895-1898), this is the only remaining structure in Johannesburg designed by ZAR architects under the direction of Sytze WIERDA.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry