Share this record

Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

NZASM Eastern Line Railway Station, Brugspruit (now Clewer)
Middelburg district, Mpumalanga

Wilhelm Alexander DE RAPPER: Contractor
NZASM: Nederlandsche Zuid-Afrikaansche Spoorweg-Maatschappij: Architect
Date:1894
Type:Railway Station
Style:Wilhelmiens
Status:Extant

This railway station is a type station built of sandstone comprising a waiting room with office and storeroom on the Eastern Line between Pretoria Railway Station and Middleburg Railway Station. It is an important feature of the railway line from Pretoria to Delagoa Bay. Probably built in 1894 , it was the only refreshment post on the route. The stepped gables are noteworthy and are a reminder of the Dutch contribution to the Oosterlyn.

(Richardson, 2001: 255)


Writings about this entry

De Jong, RC, Van der Waal, GM & Heydenrych, DH. 1988. NZASM 100 : 1887-1899, the buildings, steam engines and structures of the Netherlands South African Railway Company. Pretoria: C. Van Rensburg Publications on behalf of the Human Sciences Research Council. pg 123
Richardson, Deidré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pg 255