Sytze Wopkes WIERDA: Design Architect
Click to view large map
The building was designed in 1889, two years after the establishment of Boksburg itself. The cornerstone was laid on 15 October 1890 by the Head of the Department of Mines, C J Joubert, and within six months the little building was completed. The deputy architect was JCM HAGER.
A comparatively simple single-storeyed building, it was intended not only to house various offices, but also to serve as a Magistrate's Court. It is made outstanding by the grand Corinthian portico rising half a storey above the side wings, and behind the classical pediment, one is surprised by a wooden cupola like a Chinese Chippendale pagoda. The fenestration of the facade is regular, yet varied; the entrance door and the two flanking windows beneath the portico have half-moon fanlights, whereas the alternate windows and French doors of the side wings have slightly curved tops and a nicely moulded section between the doors and the window above. The plasterwork is neatly reticulated in imitation of stonework and the doors and windows have fielded keystones. Deep, concise mouldings run the length of these wings, concealing the roof of corrugated iron. The motto Fiat Justitia Ruat Coelum (Let justice be done even if the skies fall) is emblazoned on the entablature of the pediment.
It served as a Magistrates' Office from 1901-1958.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry