Lovedale College, Main Educational Building
|See more photographs|
Lovedale College is an historical institution, at one time the only place that offered training for black teachers. Many African leaders such as Sir Seretse Khama of Botswana, President Thabo Mbeki of South Africa, and the late South African activist Chris Hani were students here. It was built in the 1820's by Scottish missionaries (John Ross and John Bennie) who settled on the banks of the Tyume River, and was later destroyed during the Sixth Frontier War.
The architect James TOOGOOD worked on this project while he was in the Cape.
The present college is situated 1.6km north of Alice and was opened by the Glasgow Missionary Society in 1841 to train teachers and clergy. The Lovedale printing press was established and has been in operation since 1861.
Transcript of brass plaque:
Writings about this entry