Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk
Click to view large map
|See more photographs|
The church council of the Dutch Reformed church Nieu Bethesda decided to open the corner stone of the church, for the centenary of the church organ this year. Information in church papers had it that some documents were placed behind the stone when the church was built.
They indeed found quite a lot of old papers, including newspapers, church almanacs, as well as a historical document written by Rev AA Weich, the preacher during the time of building the church in 1905. Most of the documents and papers are dated February 1905, the time the cornerstone was laid and they began building the church.
In this document he named the architects of the building as Arthur H and Walter Reid from Cape Town. No information about the architects was available till now. In no other documents, council minutes or papers was it ever mentioned who the architects were, so this was very new and exciting news for the community.
We are planning to scan the documents before putting them back with other new documents too. This will all happen during the organ festival weekend of 9 to 11 May 2014.
(Mrs Hanna van Heerden, Spokesperson for Nieu Bethesda DR Church council. March 2014)
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry