PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT: Architect
Click to view large map
|See more photographs|
The left hand side panel is titled 'VAN DER STEL EXPLORES THE PENINSULAR FROM ST JAMES IN 1693' and repeated in Afrikaans.
The right hand side panel is titled 'ST JAMES NAMED AFTER THE CHURCH DEMOLISHED IN 1900' and repeated in Afrikaans.
It is presumed that the original face brick finish of the building was plastered over, possibly in the recent past, when the building was converted into a restaurant. The building is flanked with buttresses in a similar manner to the other small contemporary Post Offices in the Peninsular.
[William MARTINSON, January 2011]
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.