Share this record

Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

University of Pretoria, Aula and Rautenbach Hall
Pretoria, Gauteng

Karl J (Karel) JOOSTE: Design Architect
PHILIP NEL and VENNOTE: Architect

Date:1958
Type:University
Style:Little Brazil
Status:Extant

 


Click to view large map

Coordinates:
25°43'13.22" S 28°13'43.92" E

Designed by Karol Jooste, under the auspices of the architectural firm Philip Nel, this magnificent concrete structure is an important cultural venue on the campus and also served the city of Pretoria until the State Theatre was completed in the early 1980s. In designing the building, Jooste was ingenious in his use of concrete: stairs cut free from supporting floors, a free-form cut-out concrete screen and waved ceilings. The effect of suspending the building’s bulk over the Rautenbach Hall is even more pronounced because of large sliding glass doors on the western and eastern walls. The building was completed in 1968 and opened by Governor General E. G. Jansen. The facilities were inaugurated with a concert by Mimi Coertse, followed by a two-month gala programme of drama, symphony music, art exhibitions, ballet and choral singing. An agreement was recently signed to house the Chamber Orchestra of South Africa in the Aula. In 2004 a pipe organ, originally from the Bosman Street Church, was installed in the Aula. The auditorium accommodates 1 071 patrons.

These notes were last edited on 2020 05 25


Writings about this entry

Greig, Doreen. 1971. A Guide to Architecture in South Africa. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pg 203
Gerneke, Gus From Brazil to Pretoria: The Second Wave of the Modern Movement: in Fisher, RC, Le Roux, SW and Maré, E (Eds). 1998. Architecture of the Transvaal: pp 196 ill, 226 ill