PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT: Architect
Click to view large map
|See more photographs|
Currently standing vacant - albeit that a small portion accommodates Telkom switchgear.
A small scale face brick building with a tiled Ceramic Studio panel by Joyce ORDBROWN set in the middle of the street facade. The panel is titled along the base with 'NORDHOEK FARM GRANTED TO CHRISTINA ROUSSEAU BY GOVENOR GEN VAN IMHOFF IN 1743'. The title is repeated in Afrikaans along the top of the panel. The artist has signed in the bottom right hand corner.
The panel depicts Van Imhoff and Rousseau in contemporary dress, an ox wagon being off loaded, some coastal landscape and vegetation and an expansive sky. Two of the tiles have been rotated and do not correspond to the adjacent tiles- presumably during a refurbishment of the building.
Significant features of the building are the finely crafted English Bond face brick, the use of a dark blue face brick around window and door openings, and the 'tumbled in' capping to the buttresses. The buttresses are similar to the buttresses used on other small contemporary Post Offices in the Peninsular.
[William MARTINSON, January 2011]
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.