Click to view large map
A HISTORY OF THE STUTTERHEIM METHODIST CHURCH
Early in 1926 we started to collect for a Church. We were then holding services in the D. R. Church (Dutch Reformed Church). On the 12th March, 1927, £ 56 (then R112.00) was paid into the Shone Bequest Fund by Mr. R. A. Webster who was the steward then, and who had collected the above amount.
Rev. Mr. Househam was Superintendent Minister with Pastor Matterson in Kingwilliamstown (sic). On 22nd July, 1928, we left the D.R. Church and started services in the German Baptist Church. The Rev. F. Jones was the Superintendent Minister in Kingwilliamstown (sic) with Rev. A. Whitely as second minister. Mr. A Hancock gave us the ground on which the Church is built.
In October, 1929, Mrs. James collected in Cathcart and Queenstown, where she collected quite a substantial amount. The collectors were: Mrs. T. A. James, Mr. James, Mr. C. R. Wylde, Mr. R. A. Webster, Mr. Edward Shaw Proctor.
On 1st June, 1930, OUR CHURCH WAS OPENED. The ministers at the opening were Revs. Jacques Floweday and F. Jones. Mrs. J. R. Shaw unlocked the church.
(CHURCH ANNIVERSARY THEREFORE FIRST SUNDAY IN JUNE)
Undated document provided by Wesley Parker, Minister at Stutterheim - August 2010. Sent to us by William MARTINSON.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.