Share this record

St Paul's Anglican Church
Komgha, Eastern Cape

People:

Next

Date:1866
Type:Anglican Church
Status:Extant


Click for larger map

32°34'26.48" S 27°53'26.90" E Alt: 633m
Click on map for Google Maps

Text from the National Monument's Council Plaque which was erected in 1979.

ST. PAUL’S CHURCH
THIS CHURCH WAS OPENED ON 13 JUNE 1866 BY ARCHDEACON KITTON OF KING WILLIAM’S TOWN ASSISTED BY THE REVEREND ALBERT MAGGS WHO HAD HELPED TO FOUND IT AND WAS RESIDENT MINISTER 1867–1869. IT WAS CONSECRATED BY BISHOP MERRIMAN ON 5 FEBRUARY 1882. THE CHANCEL AND SANCTUARY WERE ADDED IN 1880 DURING THE INCUMBENCY OF THE REVEREND RICHARD McCORMICK 1869 – 1896. THE TOWER WAS ERECTED IN 1907. THE CHURCH SHELTERED WOMEN AND CHILDREN DURING THE FRONTIER WAR OF 1877 – 1878.
National Monuments Council
ST. PAUL’S – KERK
HIERDIE KERK IS OP 13 JUNIE 1866 DEUR AARTSDEKEN KITTON VAN KING WILLIAM’S TOWN GEOPEN. HY IS BYGESTAAN DEUR EERWAARDE ALBERT MAGGS, ‘N STIGTERSLID WAT VAN 1867 TOT 1869 DIE PLAASLIKE LERAAR WAS. DIE KERK IS OP 5 FEBRUARIE 1882 DEUR BISKOP MERRIMAN GEWY. DIE KANSEL EN HEILIGDOM IS IN 1880 TYDENS DIE AMPSTERMYN VAN EERWAARDE RICHARD McCORMICK 1869 – 1896 AANGEBOU EN DIE TORING IS IN 1907 OPGERIG. GEDURENDE DIE GRENSOORLOG VAN 1877– 1878 IS DIE KERK TOEVLUGSOORD DEUR VROUENS EN KINDERS GEBRUIK.
Raad vir Nasionale Gedenkwaardighede
1979


Writings about this entry

Richardson, Deidré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pg 33

Contact Artefacts please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.