Cape Divisional Council
The following is a transcribed text of a short article regarding this building from the Daily Dispatch, East London of 30 April 1927.
"CAPE DIVISIONAL COUNCIL
About a year ago the Cape Divisional Council acquired a site in Dorp Street, Capetown (sic), which is at present occupied by two buildings, viz., the old premises of the Child Life Protection Society and those of Mr. J. D. Robertson, plumber.
The Council propose to demolish the existing buildings and to erect a new five storeyed building, with caretaker's quarters above, at an approximate cost of £25,000. Added to that amount will be the architect's and quantity surveyor's fees, which will bring the estimated total cost up to £26,500.
The Council is already in possession of the plans of the proposed new structure, which has been designed by Messrs. Cordeaux, Farrow and Stocks, of East london, who worked in consultation with Mr. H. J. Brownlee of Messrs. Perry and Brownlee, of Cape Town.
EYE TO FUTURE EXPANSION
The new building will provide a long felt want, as for some time past the Council's existing office accommodation has been considered to be totally inadequate for the needs of the staff. It has also been designed, not only to provide plenty of room for the present staff, but also with an eye to future development and expansion.
The ground floor exterior of the new offices will be of granite, while the rest of the outside walls will be of stucco. The whole will be under a roof of red tiles and practically all the woodwork will be of teak, it being claimed that when completed, the building will be one of the most dignified structures in the city.
In the buildings at present existing on the site in Dorp Street accommodation has been provided for a post office, and similar provision has been made in the plans of the new building."
Article sent by William MARTINSON