|See more photographs|
A face brick church designed by GERARD MOERDYK & WATSON and constructed by P. Muhl (Pty) Ltd. The stone laying ceremony took place on 11 August 1951 and the ceremony to take over the completed church took place on 6 April 1952 [Founders Day], an eight month construction period. An unusual feature of the black granite foundation stone is an engraved three dimensional representation of the church encircled by the statement "Die poorte van die hel sal dit nie oorweldig nie" (The portals of hell cannot overwhelm this).
The external walls are constructed in hardburnt brown 2" (50mm) face bricks with various details picked out in a matching blue face brick. The eaves are finished with the typical slatted detail of this period.
[William MARTINSON March 2010]
Writings about this entry