|See more photographs|
This farm, sandwiched between Goede Rust and Roggeland, has a name as fine as its homestead ('unequalled'). It was granted in 1694 to Pierre Vivier, a Huguenot, and was just over 50 morgen in size. Like his brothers Abraham (Schoongezicht) and Jacques (Goede Rust), Pierre had been settled there since 1690. After many changes of ownership it came into the hands of Jan Gysbert Hugo in 1804; and since the next transfer is only dated 1866, Hugo apparently either built or altered the house, which is dated 1826 on its front-gable.
It is one of the finest homesteads in Daljosaphat, an area rich in old houses. It is H-shaped, and retains its open side-courts; two ends have outside chimneys. The front-gable has a pediment but no inner pilasters (the two pilaster-like supports are modern); it has scrolls but no wings. The back gable is similar to the front-gable; the end-gables have holbol outlines and pointed caps. The windows are the originals; as was becoming customary at the date when the house was built, they are slightly recessed into the wall. The house has been well restored, and the original ground-plan has been adhered to, except for a passage leading to a bedroom that has been put into the back wing. Most original ceilings, doors and other items of woodwork have been preserved, including two fine wall-cupboards. One of these wall-cupboards came from an outbuilding (the T-shaped part of the one on the right, which is an earlier dwelling). This outbuilding has holbol front and end-gables, and its age, in relation to the present homestead, is interesting.
Non-Pareille has a good werf; the homestead standing in line with its two flanking outbuildings facing a stream, and a store and long werfmuur behind it. It has not come through its 'group areas' spell unscathed; its wall-cupboards have been removed. But it has since been restored and now, with Roggeland, is a guest-house.
See also the Heritage Portal.
Sadly on Saturday 29 June 2019 the house was burnt to the ground. See Historic Non-Pareille farm house burnt to the ground, says farm watch group, news24, 2019 06 30.
Writings about this entry