Convent of the Sacred Heart - King Convent
32°52'37.22" S 27°23'38.65" E
Convent of the Sacred Heart, known as King Convent was founded in 1877 by 7 Catholic Dominican nuns who came to K.W.T. from St Ursula's Convent, Augsburg, Germany at the request of Bishop James David Ricards who needed teachers to educate the children of the German Settlers in the Eastern Cape.
Visit the website of the Dominican Sisters of King William's Town.
Additions were made to the buildings about 1923 by CORDEAUX & FARROW.
The Convent High School closed down at end of 1978 owing to the decrease in number of pupils. Most of the nuns left to teach in other schools run by their congregation or to do missionary work. The buildings surrounding the quadrangle (see right) that used to house the Convent High School's classrooms and Hostel, today house Dale College Boys Primary School Hostel, known as D.V. Taylor House.
Dorothy Adendorff who submitted the information and photographs was a boarder at the Convent High School, matriculating in 1976. We also have the prospectus which gives interesting information about the rules for the boarders, what courses are offered and what they need. Click image (left) to see the Convent Prospectus.
(Also published in SAB Mar 1923:23)
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry