Krugerhof House Museum
|See more photographs|
This small cottage, now known as 'Krugerhof,' is of bricks, wooden frames, corrugated iron roof, timber ceiling and floors with wooden verandah all round. All rooms lead off verandah, no internal doors. A picturesque garden is set in dramatic scenery. Except for a new floor and certain alterations to the stoep, the house is still much as it was when it served briefly as residence for President Paul Kruger.
In May, 1900, strong British forces under command of Lord Roberts approached Pretoria during the South African War (Second Anglo Boer War) (1899-1902), the invasion of Pretoria, Capital of the South African Republic (ZAR) became imminent, the government of the country, along with its aging president evacuate the capital by rail. The Government of the Zuid-Afrikaansche Republiek was forced to move its headquarters to Machadodorp in the Eastern Transvaal. President Kruger left Pretoria on 29th May. The climate of Machadodorp affected the health of the aged President, so a month later, on 30th June, he went to live in this house at Waterval Onder. The State Secretary, FW Reitz, and the other members of the Executive Committee travelled by train to Waterval Onder every day to discuss matters of State.
On 28th August, after the battle of Dalmanutha, the seat of government was moved to Nelspruit. Kruger had to leave Krugerhof, his last place of residence in the Republic. Accompanied by President Steyn who was visiting him, he went to Neispruit where he lived in a railway coach. Shortly after this it was decided that the President should go to Europe to enlist support for the Republics. He left Lourenço Marques by ship on 20th October, 1900.
The first official recognition of historical value of the site came before 1949 by which time the National Monuments Council had already erected a plaque on the site.
In 1973 the house was bought from the Ye Wayside Travelodge for a sum of R5 000, 00.
Declared a national monument vide Government Notice No. 1292, as published in Government Gazette No. 18 of 17 August 1962.
Significance as gazetted
President S.J.P. Kruger lived in this house form the 30th June to the 28th August 1900. During that time the affairs of State of the South African Republic were conducted there.
The SAHRA Property Register lists the historical importance as being:
This house served as the last permanent residence in the Zuid-Afrikaanse Republiek of President S J P Kruger. He lived here from 30 June to 28 August 1900, when the British victory at Dalmanutha forced him to vacate the house. During his stay at this house the affairs of the ZAR were conducted here.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.