Click to view map
Shortly after the founding of Lydenburg a start was made with the building of a church, with A. Livingston as the building contractor. In March 1851, at the time of the visit of rev. A. Murray (JR) and J.H. Neethling, the building already stood roof-high. The roof was temporarily covered with thatch for the occasion. The original gables were removed in 1879, the windows were altered to windows and the thatched roof was replaced by one of corrugated iron.
On 13 April 1973 the church was declared a national monument and is neo-Gothic presently the oldest existing Nederduitse Gereformeerde (Dutch Reformed) Church building in Mpumalanga. It was restored to its original style with the aid of a pen sketch done by Richter in 1867 and another illustration published in the Graphic of 1876.
In 1894 this church was replaced by the near-by Nederduitse Gereformeerde Church to which services were transferred.
This Nederduitse Gereformeerde Church is now used once a month for services and is also popular for weddings.
[Information supplied by the Lydenburg Museum]
These notes were last edited on 2020 07 28
Writings about this entry