State Bank and Mint
25°44'45.51" S 28°11'13.45" E Alt: 1321m
|See more photographs|
The State Bank and Mint with its Republican facade stands in the north-western corner of the square. The foundation stone of this important building was laid by Kruger on 6 July, 1892 and contained the usual coins, newspapers and a scroll-full of signatures. Divided into five sections, the ground floor is rusticated, the arched central entrance being reached up a flight of shallow steps; the windows on either side are also arched and look out over little balustraded balconies; the portico consists of double sets of columns, one above another, supporting a tympanum above the second-floor windows; the remainder of the upper-floor windows are divided by pilasters and have elaborate surrounding mouldings, those of the end sections having little balconies similar to those on the ground floor; the roof is hidden by a balustraded parapet, broken in the centre by the tympanum and at either end by curved sections; deep cornices and string courses divide the building horizontally at both roof level and first-floor level.
Writings about this entry