Click to view map
A most impressive and handsome double-storeyed complex, with two parallel blocks under slate roofs, both with projecting pediments at the ends. It is made into a U by a wing at the side connecting to the back with a flat-roofed section. Both front and back have good Georgian facades (the front restored). A Bowler watercolour in the Drostdy Museum shows the block as it was up until 1860. The front wing was then a single-storey building with a thatch roof. Behind this, parallel with a narrow space between, was the double-storeyed building that is still there today. After 1860 the front block was raised to two storeys, too; the windows from the ground-floor were used for the upper floor, and new and larger windows were put into the lower storey. The two pediments on the right are inscribed 'B & N' for Barry & Nephews, and the date 1846. The complex has been well restored.
2017: Building has been converted into flats.
Writings about this entry