Click to view large map
A T-shaped house, Built in 1853 by Daniel de Bruin. This man had bought the Drostdy and all its land on the west side of the main road from the government in 1846. He lived in the Drostdy for a time, but obviously he had bought the property as a speculation, for he proceeded to cut up the ground and sell it to various private owners, The Drostdy itself went to Pieter Gysbert Steyn. In 1853, having got rid of all the land except the remainder, on the corner of Swellgrebel and 1 Hermanus Steyn Sts, he built a new house for himself, which towards the end ff the 19th century was named Mayville. Most of the outer and interior woodwork is intact. The house and grounds were bequeathed by the late Miss Nita Steyn to the Drostdy Museum. It has since been restored to its original appearance with half-hipped thatch roof and dormer front, and is now an early-Victorian period house museum.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry