Share this record

Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Magistrates Court and Offices
Uitenhage, Eastern Cape

Richard Ernest WRIGHT: Design Architect
PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT of the CAPE COLONY: Architect

Date:1880
Type:Magistrate's Court
Status:Extant


Click for larger map

33°45'59.11" S 25°23'59.74" E Alt: 72m
Click on map for Google Maps

See more photographs

Built under the directorship of HS GREAVES who was head of the PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT of the CAPE COLONY.


Writings about this entry

Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pg 527
Greig, Doreen. 1971. A Guide to Architecture in South Africa. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pg 222
Herholdt, AD. 1988. Uitenhage : a case study of small town colonial architecture. Port Elizabeth: M Arch. University of Port Elizabeth. pg 350
Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pg 102
Richardson, Deidré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pg 45