Lutheran Mission Church
People:Richard Carl George Theodor WOCKE: Architect
29°36'23.31" S 25°57'39.05" E Alt: 1332m
Bethanien Mission Station.
The first church was a wattle-and-daub construction, but in 1845 the first face brick church was erected with great difficulty (THE timber had to be brought from the Eastern cape). In 1868 the corner stone of a new, enlarged church was laid. It was designed by the Bloemfontein master builder, Richard WOCKE, in the form of a Greek cross it was consecrated the next year. What makes the church important is that the original church building of 1845 is imbedded in the present structure, so that the the church is thus a direct link with the pioneer years of the Free State and must be considered one of the oldest buildings in the province. (Schoeman 1985:15, 17)
(Lantern Jul 1984:50-58)
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry
Contact Artefacts please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.