Holy Trinity Anglican Church
James Jarvis BISSET: Architect
William WHITE-COOPER: Architect
Click to view large map
F Molesworth PFEIL won the competition to design the church. The foundation stone was laid on 10 July 1862 and opened on 1 April 1866 to hold 160 people, but this was increased in 1867 to accommodate 380. In 1872-1873 the spire was added to the design of James BISSET. On 1 April 1897 tragedy struck when the church burnt down and only the walls and tower remained intact. William WHITE-COOPER was commissioned to do the new design and a new foundation stone was laid on 14 September 1897 and the re-built and enlarged church was re-opened on 11 December 1898. The church is almost unchanged since then.
Writings about this entry