Share this record
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.
Fort England, including East Barracks - Later Lunatic Asylum, then Mental HospitalJohn Todd WELCHMAN: Architect
Grahamstown, Eastern Cape
James H (Lieut) RUTHERFORD: Architect
PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT of the CAPE COLONY: Architect
|Date:||1815 : 1825 : 1894||Type:||Asylum|
Located south-east of the centre of Grahamstown. In 1815 constructed of soft brick, the joinery coming from Uitenhage because of the local shortage of carpenters. At the time it was known as Witruggens or the East Barracks. The Rev Shaw held his first service in a room here in 1820. In 1825 it was enlarged, the new buildings designed by RUTHERFORD including a new mess room as extentions, done in strictly classical style. It was established as the Asylum for Grahamstown in 1875 and later as a hospital. Additional buildings were added in 1894 by J ARMSTRONG for the PWD.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry
|Lewcock, Ronald. 1963. Early Nineteenth Century Architecture in South Africa : a study of the interaction of two cultures, 1795-1837. Cape Town: AA Balkema. pg 74, 194-195, 247-250, 312, 313, 353, 375, 402n|
|Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1977. Victorian Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: AA Balkema. pg 211-212|
|Potgieter, DJ (Editor-in-chief). 1971. Standard Encyclopaedia of South Africa [SESA] Volume 4 Dev-For. Cape Town: Nasou. pg 648|
|Radford, D. 1979. The architecture of the Western Cape, 1838 1901. A study of the impact of Victorian aesthetics and technology on South African architecture. Johannesburg: Unpublished Ph.D thesis. Dept of Arch. University of the Witwatersrand. pg 137|
|Lewcock, Ronald Fort England: in Potgieter, DJ (Editor-in-chief). 1971. Standard Encyclopaedia of South Africa [SESA] Volume 4 Dev-For: pp 648|