St Aidan's College
(Radford 1979:137; Schoeman 1982:53)
The handsome building here presented, is another of the Colleges which seem to promise for Grahamstown the position of the Oxford of South Africa. St. Aidan's was founded in 1876 by Bishop Ricards, in order that the Roman Catholics should also have a fitting place to send their rising youth. It is intended to increase the buildings, but already there is accommodation for some sixty boarders. Besides the Rector and Vice-Rector, an efficient staff of eight Masters is maintained. Teaching and discipline are alike under the care of the Jesuit Fathers. Athletics, too, are not neglected, and the College is well to the front with its Cricket Eleven and Cadet Corps.
Ref: Photographs of South Africa comprising Representative Views etc.; The South African Photo-Publishing Company, Cape Town, 1894: pg 79.
[Submitted by William MARTINSON, January 2011]
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry