Share this record
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde KerkGeorge WALLIS: Architect
De Rust, Western Cape
Johannes Nicolaas COMBRINK: Contractor
Click to view large map
33°29'26.19" S 22°32'11.58" E Alt: 476m
|See more photographs|
The members of the Dutch Reformed Church congregation of De Rust and surrounding farms seceded from the D.R.C. Church of Oudtshoorn in April 1899. The plans for the erection of a Church in the 'late' Neo Gothic style of Mr. George WALLIS (snr.) were accepted by the Church Council. The Church was built by Mr. Combrinck of Prince Albert and the inauguration took place on 28th November 1902. In 1910 it became clear that the pulpit of the church was unsuitable. The Church Council asked Mr. VIXSEBOXSE to design a pulpit in the Neo-Gothic style to match the architecture of the Church. Selected yellow and stink-wood were used for the building of the pulpit.
Writings about this entry
|Ferreira, Naas. 1983. J.E. Vixseboxse 1836 - 1943. Restorica: Journal of the Simon van der Stel Foundation , No 13, April. pp 35-36|
|Hoevers, Jan. 2005. Van Kerke en Dorpe. Historiese vertellinge oor die oudste kerke en dorpe in Suid-Afrika. Centurion: Publiself Uitgewers. pg 26|
|Maeder, GA & Zinn, C. 1917. Ons kerk album van Hollandsche kerken en leeraren. Capetown: Cape Times. pg 92|
|Menache, Philippe & David, Darryl Earl. 2012. A Platteland Pilgrimage : 102 country churches of South Africa
. South Africa: Booktown Richmond Press. pg 93|
|Radford, D. 1979. The architecture of the Western Cape, 1838 1901. A study of the impact of Victorian aesthetics and technology on South African architecture. Johannesburg: Unpublished Ph.D thesis. Dept of Arch. University of the Witwatersrand. pg 136|