Built in the church grounds.
With the erection of the new Dutch Reformed Church in Calitzdorp the business sector, as in earlier days, was close to the Church. The Church Council decided to erect a new bank building on a lease basis to Standard Bank on one corner of the D.R. Church grounds. At that stage Mr. Vixseboxse acted as Clerk of Works for the building of the Dutch Reformed Church in Calitzdorp. The plans of Mr. Vixseboxse were accepted and the bank building was inaugurated in 1912. It was partly built of sandstone with the entrance facing the corner of the street. The design was in the 'Neo-Renaissance' style with a residence for the bank manager forming part of the bank. The Standard Bank at present (1982) is still leasing the building after it was modernized.
Writings about this entry