House George Heys, Melrose House
25°45'19.51" S 28°11'32.65" E Alt: 1338m
|See more photographs|
(The Star 8 May 1971:7). Now a museum.
Towards the close of the Anglo-Boer War the house was requisitioned as the British HQ, firstly being occupied by Lord Roberts, then later by Lord Kitchener. On 31 May 1902 the Treaty of Vereeniging was signed at Melrose House, on the dining room table.
George Heys died on a visit to England in 1939, his wife having predeceased him by ten years. The property was inherited by the family. In 1968 Melrose House was acquired by the Municipality of Pretoria for use as a museum.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry