Mattheus Carel August MEISCHKE: Contractor
Click to view map
(Afr Archt Sep 1912:48; SAAR May 1937:239)
Transcription of Blue plaque:
JOHANNESBURG CITY HERITAGE
Transcription of framed photograph on lintel:
In 1904, Tom Cullinan purchased four stands in Main Street from EW Tarry & Company for £35 000. Being amongst other ventures a building contractor; he was determined to build an outstanding office building to house his various companies. The building was designed by Messrs William Leck and Francis Emley who had already designed the Corner House on the corner of Simmonds and Commissioner Streets. The building cost £80 000 and contained the finest finishes with the best materials which the leading craftsman of the day could source.
The Cullinan family was very proud of this building and very particular as to whom they let offices. Sir Thomas, his son Tommy, the secretary and staff of Consolidated Rand Brick, Pottery and Lime Company occupied offices on the ground floor The Premier Diamond Mining Company occupied the fourth floor, where T D Edington, the company secretary, had his office and where diamonds were sorted behind closed doors. The balance of space was let largely to lawyers and accountants who found the paneled offices and wide corridors to their liking. Prior to the demolition of the building in 1966, one of the tenants was the catering outlet, 'The Shop Around the Corner' which now operates across Main Street and continues a tradition which was established many years ago.
Submitted by Derek Walker via William Martinson.
These notes were last edited on 2020 08 18
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry