Share this record
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.
Constantia, Western Cape
34°00'44.23" S 18°27'06.74" E
Click on map for Google Maps
The Alphen property was granted to Theunis van Schalkwyk in 1714. Alphen is a square double-storey manor house with a beautiful pediment and exceptional front door. It seems certain that Kirsten built the house in 1765 or a few years later as a double-storey. The remodeling of the house is ascribed to Pieter de Waal c1793.
(Fransen 2004:140; Richardson 2001:81)
Alphen is now a restaurant and guesthouse.
Writings about this entry
|Dane, Philippa & Wallace, Sydney-Anne. 1981. The Great houses of Constantia. Cape Town: Don Nelson. pg 75-81; 82-88|
|Fairbridge, Dorothea. 1934. Gardens of South Africa : with some chapters on practical gardening under South African conditions and some notes on the cultivation of South African wild flowers. Cape Town: Maskew Millar . pg opp. 112|
|Hartdegen, Paddy. 1988. Our building heritage : an illustrated history. South Africa: Ryll's Pub. Co. on behalf of the National Development Fund for the Building Industry. pg 40|
|Hoefsloot, Ted (illustrations) & Pama, Cor (text). 1980. Cape Wine Homesteads. Johannesburg: AD Donker. pg 28 & 29 (ill)|
|Pearse, Geoffrey Eastcott. 1957. Eighteenth century architecture in South Africa. London: Batsford. pg 25, 26, 43, Plate 37, |
|Trotter, Alys Fane. 1928. Old Cape Colony. A chronicle of her men and houses from 1652 to 1806. London: Selwyn & Blount. pg 278|