Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

St George's Church
Cape Town, Western Cape

John SKIRROW: Architect
John (Lt-Col Sir) BELL: Designer

Date:1830-6
Type:Church
Status:Demolished 1954
Street:Wale St

 


Click to view map

Coordinates:
33°55'29.12" S 18°25'08.93" E Alt: 15m

Demolished in 1954 to make way for St George's Cathedral. The cross from this church now stands outside the Cathedral.

The design was an adaptation by John (Lt-Col Sir) BELL of drawings sent from England based on St Pancras, London, designed by W. and H. Inwood in 1819. Skirrow was also closely connected with the design and erection of St George's Church from 1827 when he examined the site and made proposals about foundations, preparing plans for the building in July 1828.

These notes were last edited on 2022 03 31


Writings about this entry

Hartdegen, Paddy. 1988. Our building heritage : an illustrated history. South Africa: Ryll's Pub. Co. on behalf of the National Development Fund for the Building Industry. pg 59
Langham-Carter, RR. 1977. Old St George's: The story of Cape Town's first cathedral. Cape Town: AA Balkema. pg All
Lewcock, Ronald. 1963. Early Nineteenth Century Architecture in South Africa : a study of the interaction of two cultures, 1795-1837. Cape Town: AA Balkema. pg 264-265, 264 ill
Radford, D. 1979. The architecture of the Western Cape, 1838 1901. A study of the impact of Victorian aesthetics and technology on South African architecture. Johannesburg: Unpublished Ph.D thesis. Dept of Arch. University of the Witwatersrand. pg 132
Rennie, John for CPIA. 1978. The Buildings of Central Cape Town 1978. Volume One : Formative Influences and Classification. Cape Town: Cape Provincial Institute of Architects. pg 12
Shorten, John R. 1963. Cape Town : A record of the Mother City from the earliest days to the present. Cape Town: JR Shorten in association with Shorten and Smith Publications. pg 119 ill.
Walker, Michael. 2012. Early architects of Cape Town and their buildings (1820 - 1926) with postcard illustrations, The. St James: Michael Walker. pg 10