Port Elizabeth Museum Complex - Bayworld
Click to view large map
THE PORT ELIZABETH MUSEUM COMPLEX: (Museum, Snake Park, Tropical House & Oceanarium) [Beach Road, Humewood, Port Elizabeth] The foundation stone of the Port Elizabeth Museum Complex on the beachfront was laid on 11 Nov. 1958. The previos location was in Bird Street. The complex was renamed BAYWORLD in 1999.
THE OCEANARIUM - famed for its performing Indian Ocean bottlenose dolphins,
is one of Port Elizabeth's main attractions. Cape fur seals and African
penguins contribute to the entertainment. The large dolphin lake was opened
In 2009, Bayworld's remaining father-daughter pair of dolphins, Dumisa and Domino, were moved to Ocean Park in Hong Kong in order to prevent inbreeding.
(Submitted by Dorothy Adendorff)(SAB Jul 1925:35)
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.