Share this record

Cape College for Advanced Technical Education
Cape Town, Western Cape


Johann Carl Ernest SEELIGER: Architect
Street:Longmarket/Buitenkant/Caledon/Parade Sts

Click for larger map

33°55'34.86" S 18°25'27.04" E Alt: 18m
Click on map for Google Maps

(attrib to Seeliger see Rennie 1978b:333)

Wording on foundation stone:

This stone was laid by His Royal
Highness Prince Arthur of Connaught K.G.
Governor General of the Union of South
Africa 26 May 1921

Wording on commemoration stone:

This stone commemorates the opening of
this College by His Royal Highness
Prince Arthur of Connaught K.G. on
Friday 16th March 1923

Now part of the Cape Peninsula University of Technology.

The Cape Technikon has its roots in the Cape Technical College, which was established in Longmarket Street in 1920. The establishment of the college followed more than ten years of petitioning by the community for the consolidation of technical courses that had been offered in various venues in Cape Town.

In the late 1960's this institution had its status changed to a College for Advanced Technical Education and was renamed the Cape College for Advanced Technical Education. However, a decade later, the Technikons Act was promulgated and in 1976 the institution become known as the Cape Technikon and was allowed to offer degree programmes.

(CPUT webslite)

All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.

Writings about this entry

Rennie, John for CPIA. 1978. The Buildings of Central Cape Town 1978. Volume Two : Catalogue. Cape Town: Cape Provincial Institute of Architects. pg 333 item 108.1

Contact Artefacts please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.