Public Convenience, Chalet
33°55'31.58" S 18°25'04.60" E Alt: 28m
At the lower Queen Victoria St entrance stands the 'Ladies & Gents', a delightful piece of late nineteenth century architectural frivolity. In keeping too, is the yet intact plumbing, with gleaming copper piping, overhead cisterns and throne-like conveniences.
(Picton-Seymour 1977 : 132)
This beautiful period piece was one of the number of “chalets” designed by the City Engineer’s Department in 1895. The presumed designer is the then Municipal Architect (1886-96) Walter Reid. The centre portion appears to be the original building with the two additions added soon after.
(Rennie 1978 : 270)
Writings about this entry