BLACK and FAGG: Architect
33°55'24.24" S 18°25'19.50" E
|See more photographs|
Designed by CAS FREEMAN in 1881 it was extensively altered by BLACK & FAGG in 1919.
Awarded CPIA Bronze Medal for 1931 (SAB Apr 1933:88; Rennie 1978b:208)
(SAB Nov 1923:21; SAB Oct 1927:51; SAB Jan 1928:49; SAB Jan 1930:31; Oberholster 1982:1-7)
Longstanding city centre-piece much extended and modified. Ground and 4 floors, with central facade dome surmounted by Brittania.
Facade : set back from street boundary. Cast-iron railed forecourt (Yates and Haywood Co., Rotherham). Fine four columned projecting pedimented portico. Granite base and plaster upper work with extensive applied ornament, pre-cast and plastered decoration, window surrounds, cornices etc. Fine cornice with pre-cast modillions, teak large pane sashes. Initial building, 2 storey front by architect Charles FREEMAN, built c1880. Visible on Pocock panorama c1884. Refer Picton-Seymour, p70. Building now 4 storeys high. Upper floors : basic architectural detail carried through with slightly plainer detailing. Building also extended towards rear of site. (Note granite base changes to plastered imitation). Major extensions and alterations, architects BLACK and FAGG c1921. Unrivalled Victorian top lit main banking hall, teak, brass, black and white marble, bronze war memorials, lofty colonnades etc.
The original 2 storeyed building occupied the front half of the site, the second half was built in 1897 with Charles still the architect.
(Rennie et al 1978:165-6)
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry