Share this record
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.
Dale CollegeJohn Todd WELCHMAN: Architect
King William's Town, Eastern Cape
BAKER and MASEY: Architect
|Date:||1877 : 1906||Type:||College|
John Todd WELCHMAN designed the first school building for which the foundation stone was laid on 6 September 1877. Francis Edward MASEY was probably the supervising architect for the 1906 building. (BC 206/233; RIBA Jnl obit 19 Oct 1912:750-1)
There is a War Memorial in the grounds of the school dedicated to the almost 200 Old Dalians who died in the First World War.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry
|Dersley, GH. 1893. Views of King William's Town. King William's Town: GH Dersley. pg plate 24|
|Greig, Doreen. 1970. Herbert Baker in South Africa. Cape Town: PURNELL. pg 238|
|Hawthorn, Peter & Bristow, Barry. 1993. Historic Schools of South Africa : an ethos of excellence. Cape Town: Pachyderm Press. pg 92-101|
|Radford, D. 1979. The architecture of the Western Cape, 1838 1901. A study of the impact of Victorian aesthetics and technology on South African architecture. Johannesburg: Unpublished Ph.D thesis. Dept of Arch. University of the Witwatersrand. pg 137|