|Date:||1857 - 1864||Type:||Library|
|Street:||Queen Victoria St - Government Ave|
Click to view large map
33°55'31.51" S 18°25'07.43" E Alt: 27m
Although the building was officially opened in September 1860 by Prince Alfred it was only completed in 1864.
Originally called the South African Library and Museum, it was known as such until the South African Museum was opened in 1897. The museum section of the library then became a reading room. The library was subsequently known as the Cape Town Public Library, the South African Library, and since 1999 as the National Library of South Africa, Cape Town Campus.
(SAQLB vol xii, 1957-8:117)
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry
|Duncan, Paul & Proust, Alain. 2013. Hidden Cape Town. Cape Town: Random House Struik. pg 50-55|
|Greig, Doreen. 1971. A Guide to Architecture in South Africa. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pg 94-96|
|Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1977. Victorian Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: AA Balkema. pg 40 ill, 41|
|Radford, D. 1979. The architecture of the Western Cape, 1838 1901. A study of the impact of Victorian aesthetics and technology on South African architecture. Johannesburg: Unpublished Ph.D thesis. Dept of Arch. University of the Witwatersrand. pg 122, 227-8|
|Rennie, John for CPIA. 1978. The Buildings of Central Cape Town 1978. Volume Two : Catalogue. Cape Town: Cape Provincial Institute of Architects. pg 269 item 77.6|
|Richardson, Deidré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pg 76|
|Walker, Michael. 2012. Early architects of Cape Town and their buildings (1820 - 1926) with postcard illustrations, The. St James: Michael Walker. pg 16, 17 (ills.)|