House de Villiers - Wynberg House
Built for Chief Justice Henry de Villiers (b.1842 – d.1914). He was the Chief Justice of the Cape Colony from 1874-1910, and of the Union of South Africa from 1910-1914. He received the title 1st Baron de Villiers of Wynberg in 1910.
The basic symmetry [of the house] is made to appear irregular by the calculated difference in the treatment of the two gables and in the first floor fenestration. The rest of the building is also seemingly haphazard in plan and elevation. The detailing of the house is partly Tudor (hood mouldings) and partly Gothic (bargeboards). On plan the main reception rooms were ranged around a large entrance hall, a drawing room on the left interconnected with a study, whilst the dining room was placed at the back adjacent to the kitchen. A morning room to the right completed the suite. The main stair rose out of the entrance hall but to the side, while the service connection was under the landing where there was also a door to the outside privvie. A verandah ran around the sides of the house. The precise layout upstairs is unknown but it included a ladies sitting room opening onto the upper balcony. (Radford. 1979:303)
Please Contact Artefacts if you come across any broken links on this page.
These notes were last edited on 2020 09 07
Writings about this entry