SA Institute for Medical Research
Click to view large map
SA Inst for Medical Research, additions 1924, 1936, 1938, 1940 (Fleming 1985).
THIS building is one of the most important centres for medical research and routine, and the preparation of sera and vaccines in the world. The original design is by Sir Herbert Baker, R.A., carried out by the partnership. Sir Herbert Baker and F. L. H. Fleming.
The materials generally are: Walls, brick with precast concrete dressings. Dome, concrete, all painted white externally. Floors, concrete and asphalte. Roofs, iron above concrete ceilings. Ceilings, plaster and concrete. Joinery, teak and Oregon pine. Windows, steel casements.
The spacious setting of the Institute in ample grounds, the broad lay-out, and the care bestowed upon garden and amenity greatly enhance the architectural values that have been sought after in the design of the actual buildings.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry