Drostdy Gates - Arch
Click to view map
Now the entrance to Rhodes University. Referred to as the Drostdy Gates or the Drostdy Arch.
The gateway was planned in 1835 by Sir Benjamin D'Urban, Governor at the time, but was only built in about 1841 or 1842. Lewcock (1963:275) ascribes the probability of the gate's design to Maj. Charles SELWYN, of the ROYAL ENGINEERS.
Proclaimed: 08-07-1938. Reproclaimed: 30-10-1992.
Bell on stand [see photographs right], originally mounted on top of the flat wall over the arch and used as a curfew bell. Now placed in the grounds of the Albany Museum adjacent to the Drostdy Arch.
Writings about this entry