Share this record

Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Railway Station Building
Port Alfred, Eastern Cape

Date:1884
Type:Railway Station
Style:Victorian
Status:Extant


Click for larger map

33°35'24.88" S 26°53'19.45" E
Click on map for Google Maps

See more photographs

The new premises of the Kowie History Museum (December 2013)

Wording on National Monuments Council plaque:

RAILWAY STATION

THIS STATION BUILDING IS CLOSELY ASSOCIATED WITH THE HISTORY OF THE
RAILWAY LINE BETWEEN PORT ALFRED AND GRAHAMSTOWN WHICH WAS
OFFICIALLY OPENED ON 1 OCTOBER 1884. FROM 1905 PORTIONS OF IT WERE
LEASED TEMPORARILY, BECAUSE OF FINANCIAL REASONS, BY THE KOWIE
RAILWAY COMPANY FOR USE AS A PUB AND BOARDING HOUSE. THE STATION
AND RAILWAY LINE WERE OWNED BY PRIVATE COMPANIES UNTIL 1913 WHEN
IT WAS TAKEN OVER BY THE GOVERNMENT.


Proclaimed      1985      Geproklameer

HIERDIE STASIEGEBOU IS TEN NOUTSE VERBONDE MET DIE GESKIEDENIS VAN
DIE SPOORLYN TUSSEN PORT ALFRED EN GRAHAMSTAD WAT OP 1 OKTOBER
1884 AMPTELIK GEOPEN IS. GEDEELTES DAARVAN IS VANAF 1905 VANWEË
FINANSIËLE REDES TYDELIK DEUR DIE KOWIE SPOORWEGMAATSKAPPY
VERHUUR VIR GEBRUIK AS KROEG EN LOSIESHUIS. DIE STASIE EN SPOORLYN
WAS IN BESIT VAN PRIVATE MAATSKAPPYE TOT 1913 TOE DIT DEUR DIE STAAT
OORGENEEM IS.


National Monuments Council
Raad vir Nasionale Gedenkwaardighede

All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.


Writings about this entry

Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1977. Victorian Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: AA Balkema. pg 215
Richardson, Deidré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pg 37-38