Share this record

Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Bailey's Beacon and 1820 Toposcope
Bathurst, Eastern Cape

Date:1859
Type:Beacon
Status:Extant

 


Click to view large map

Coordinates:
33°29'46.52" S 26°50'36.77" E

See more photographs

It was here that Colonel Jacob Cuyler's camp stood when he supervised the settlement of the 1820 settlers on their allotments. Proclaimed: 02-08-1968. (Richardson, D. 2001:9)

Wording on information plaque

THIS TOPOSCOPE WAS ERECTED
IN 1968 BY THE 1820 SETTLERS
NATIONAL MONUMENT COMMITTEE. TO
SHOW THE DIRECTION, & THE DISTANCE
FROM THIS SITE. OF THE LOCATIONS
OF THE PARTIES IN THE SETTLEMENT

MILES
LOCATION
LEADER
COUNTY
SHIP

INFORMATION ON PLAQUES

HIERDIE TOPOSKOOP IS IN 1968
DEUR DIE 1820 - SETLAARS - NATIONALE
MONUMENTKOMITEEOPGERIG OM DIE
RIGTING AAN TE DUI. ASOOK DIE
AFSTAND VANAF HIERDIE TERREIN. VAN
DIE PLEKKE WAAR DIE GESELSKAPPE
IN DIE NEDERSETTING GEVESTIG IS

MYL
PLEK
LEIER
GRAAFSKAP
SKIP

INLIGTING OP GEDENKPLATE

_____________________

Wording on directional plaque


NEW GLOUCESTER
BRADSHAW
GLOUCESTERSHIRE
KENNERSLEY

_____________________

Wording on Historical Monuments Commission plaque

CLOSE TO THIS SITE IN 1820 COLONEL JACOB
CUYLER MADE HIS CAMP WHILE SUPERVISING
THE PLACING OF THE SETTLERS ON THEIR
LOCATIONS. WHILE CAMPED HERE AT THE SAME
TIME SIR RUFANE DONKIN CHOSE THE SITE FOR
THE ADMINISTRATIVE CENTRE TO BE NAMED
BATHURST. THE BEACON WAS ERECTED BY CAPTAIN
W. BAILEY AS AN OBSERVING STATION DURING
HIS SURVEY OF THE EASTERN DISTRICTS, 1855-1859.
HISTORICAL MONUMENTS COMMISSION
1968

NABY HIERDIE PLEK HET KOLONEL JACOB CUYLER
IN 1920 SY KAMP OPGESLAAN. DAARVANDAAN HET
HY TOESIG GEHOU OOR DIE PLASING VAN DIE
SETLAARS OP HULLE STANDPLASE. SIR RUFANE
DONKIN SE KAMP HET TEGELYERTYD HIER GESTAAN
TOE HY DIE PLEK VIR DIE ADMINISTRATIEWE SETEL,
WAT BATHURST GENOEM SOU WORD, AANGEWYS HET.
DIE BAKEN IS DEUR KAPTEIN W. BAILEY AS 'N
WAARNEMINGSPUNT OPGERIG TOE HY DIE OOSTELIKE
DISTRIKTE IN 1855-1859 OPGEMEET HET.
HISTORIESE MONUMENTEKOMMISSIE
1968

_____________________

Wording on Inauguration plaque

THIS TOPOSCOPE WAS
INAUGURATED ON
SETTLERS DAY 2 SEPTEMBER 1968
BY IA MACKENZIE ESQ. D.S.O

_____________________

Wording on plaque

THIS TOPOSCOPE HAD
ITS ORIGIN IN THE
HISTORICAL RESEARCH
OF E. MORSE JONES ESQ

2018 (See adjacent newspaper article)

After some years of neglect and vandalism, the Toposcope has been restored, celebrated recently during the fiftieth anniversary of the monument. The original plaques were bronze but many of them had been feloniously chiseled off and sold as scrap metal. These have been replaced by granite. The monument has also been enlarged to include six cairns with plaques naming the Xhosa king and five chiefs who, with their clans, resided in the area at the time of the arrival of the English Settlers.


Writings about this entry

Oberholster, JJ. 1972. The historical monuments of South Africa. Cape Town: Rembrandt Van Rijn Foundation for Culture at the request of the National Monuments Council. pg 151
Richardson, Deidré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pg 9