Click to view map
This beautiful Neo-Gothic building is 165 years old (in 2019) and rich in history. In 1853 Carl Otto Hager offered his skills as an architect free of charge to the German community for the design of the Old Lutheran church, which was inaugurated in 1854. Ten years later Hager oversaw the expansion of the DR Mother Church in Stellenbosch, proving his competency to the public. In his lifetime he was the architect for over twenty churches, as well as several other buildings.
In 1969, when there was a possibility that the church would be demolished, Dr and Mrs Anton Rupert purchased the building. They had it restored and then donated it to the University of Stellenbosch. In that same year it was formally initiated as an art gallery. Today the Old Lutheran church is known as GUS - Gallery of the University of Stellenbosch. The space has been under the management of the University's Department of Visual Arts since 2014.
Information supplied by Nericke Labuschagne, curator at GUS.
Submitted by Lila Komnick.
Writings about this entry