William Mitcheson TIMLIN: Architect 1907
(S v d Stel Bull 25, May 1972:7-10)
Some records have this as Alexandersfontein and others as Alexanderfontein.
Originally built in 1900 designed by DW Greatbatch, additions were done in 1907 with help from WM Timlin.
The building was declared a National Monument on 4 May 1984. Now a Provincial Heritage Site.
"The so-called Jack Hindon Officers' Club building inclusive of 15 metres of surrounding land, situate on certain piece of abolished quitrent land, being Portion 13 of the farm Alexander's Fontein, situate in the Division of Kimberley, Province of the Cape of Good Hope.
This magnificent building, with its Victorian and Edwardian features, was designed in 1900 by the well-known architect Daniel Westwood Greatbach [sic]. It replaced the old Alexandersfontein Hotel building, which was restored in 1881. The building that was completed in October 1902 was enlarged in 1907 by the addition of an extra wing. The hotel was closed in 1939, was taken over by the S.A. Defence Force in 1967 and converted into an officers' club for the Danie Theron Combat School, which was located at Alexandersfontein. 10/2/1906.
G. VAN N. VILJOEN, Minister of National Education."
(SAHRIS accessed 2017 09 01)
"The original Alexandersfontein Hotel was a simple structure, situated on the old main road to the Cape and occupied by Boer forces during the siege. At Rhodes's instigation this was replaced in 1902 by a luxury hotel which served also as weekend resort for the wealthier inhabitants of Kimberley and Beaconsfield. Once one of the country's three finest hotels, it is now used by the SA National Defence as the Jack Hindon Officers' Club."
(McGregor Museum accessed 2017 09 01)
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.