All Saints Church
People:Sophia (Sophie) Wharton Myddleton GRAY: Architect
The foundation stone was laid on 1 November 1859 by the local magistrate Dr JH Hofmeyr. The plot had been given to the church by Joseph Barry. The first service was held on 11 August 1861 but the church was only consecrated on 29 October 1863 when Bishop Gray visited Bredasdorp. Although Sophy Gray's involvement with the plans is not referred to in church records, it is reasonable to accept her authorship of the design. In subsequent years narrow aisles were added to both sides of the nave and a porch with three little gablets and a vestry were built on to the western end of the church. Thankfully, when erecting these additional components the contractors built with the same sized units of sandstone as used for the original chapel, thus ensuring harmonious integration with the earlier structure. (Martin 2005:60-61)
Writings about this entry
Contact Artefacts please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.