Share this record

Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

St Andrew's Chapel
Newlands, Cape Town, Western Cape

Sophia Wharton Myddleton (Sophy) GRAY: Architect

Date:1856
Type:Anglican Church
Status:Extant
Street:Palmboom Road

 


Click to view large map

Coordinates:
33°58'18.10" S 18°27'16.57" E Alt: 61m

Consecrated 1857 (Radford 1979: 207). This was built originally as a school chapel. It was later converted into a house.

Transcript of National Monuments Plaque:

St. Andrew's Church
This building was erected as an
Anglican Church on land granted
for this purpose by Rudolph Cloete in 1857.

National Monuments Council

St.-Andreaskerk
Hierdie gebou is as Anglikaanse
Kerk opgerig op grond wat in 1857
deur Rudolph Cloete vir hierdie doel geskenk is.

Raad vir Nasionale Gedenkwaardighede
1977


Writings about this entry

Martin, Desmond. 2005. The Bishop's churches. Cape Town: Struik. pg 52-53
Radford, D. 1979. The architecture of the Western Cape, 1838 1901. A study of the impact of Victorian aesthetics and technology on South African architecture. Johannesburg: Unpublished Ph.D thesis. Dept of Arch. University of the Witwatersrand. pg 207