St Saviour's Church
Adolphus William ACKERMANN: Architect
BAKER and MASEY: Architect
Click to view large map
The site for the church was donated by Mr Rice Jones Jones, a wealthy merchant, in 1850 on condition that a church was built within the next twenty years. The original church, a small rectangular thatched building, was designed by Sophia GRAY, the foundation stone was laid on 13 November 1850 and the church consecrated 1853. From the beginning the church had a distinguished congregation and was known as "the fashionable church ... where Lady Grey (the wife of the Governor of the Cape, Sir George Grey) and all the grandees go." The congregation grew rapidly and in 1871 Adolphus ACKERMAN did plans to enlarge the church helped by prominent British architect William BUTTERFIELD who had assisted Sophia GRAY with the original church. He retained the original church as the chancel and included the attractive bell-tower. After the Anglo Boer War BAKER & MASEY were asked to reconstruct the church. They demolished the original church by Sophia GRAY and much of that designed by Adolphus ACKERMAN. The new church was consecrated on 17 April 1904. According to Richardson (2001) there were further additions done in 1953.
People buried in the graveyard include Sophia GRAY and her husband Bishop Robert Gray and George WALLIS.
The Calvary War Memorial is in the church grounds.
Writings about this entry