Click to view large map
34°02'07.49" S 23°03'01.98" E Alt: 15m
|See more photographs|
Consecrated 30th October 1855.
Wording on Knysna Historical Society plaque:
St George's Anglican Church
John Rex laid the foundation stone of this church in 1849
built on land donated by his father, George Rex, founder of
Knysna. Construction commenced in 1850 based on a plan
adapted by Sophy Gray, wife of the first Anglican Bishop of
South Africa. The church was to be built then as the chancel
of a larger church and when funds permitted, the nave etc.
in the plan would be added. The church was consecrated
in 1855. In 1919 the decision was taken to build a new
church to the north.
Wording on the Historical Monuments Commission plaque:
St George's Church
This is the first church built
in Knysna. The foundation stone
was laid in April 1849 by John
Rex, son of George Rex who donated
the land. The church was consecrated
by Bishop Robert Gray on 3rd October 1855.
Historical Monuments Commission
Dit is die eerste kerk in Knysna gebou.
Die hoeksteen is in April 1849 gelê deur John
Rex, seun van George Rex wat die grond
geskenk het. Die kerk is op 3 Oktober 1855
deur biskop Robert Gray ingewy.
St George's 1926
St George's Lychgate
Writings about this entry
|Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pg 519 ill|
|Greig, Doreen. 1971. A Guide to Architecture in South Africa. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pg 163|
|Hatfield, Denis. 1967. Some South African monuments. Cape Town: Purnell. pg 100-102|
|Martin, Desmond. 2005. The Bishop's churches. Cape Town: Struik. pg 18-19|
|Menache, Philippe & David, Darryl Earl. 2010. 101 Country Churches of South Africa. South Africa: Booktown Richmond Press. pg 90|
|Oberholster, JJ. 1972. The historical monuments of South Africa. Cape Town: Rembrandt Van Rijn Foundation for Culture at the request of the National Monuments Council. pg 127 ill|
|Richardson, Deidré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pg 114|
|Storrar, Patricia. 2001. Plettenberg Bay and the Paradise Coast. Craighall: Trevor McGlashan, TJM Publishers. pg 166|