Share this record

Christ Church - Anglican
Central, Swellendam, Western Cape

People:

Sophia (Sophie) Wharton Myddleton GRAY: Architect


Date:1852
Type:Anglican Church
Status:Demolished
Street:Voortrek Street

Working drawings made by civil engineer, G. Evans. Foundation stone laid by Richard Southey in 1852. "It had been done with tremendous ceremony, despite continuous rain. Southey had spoken in great praise of Robert [Gray], Dr Robertson (much involved in the proceedings) and the Rev. Baker also but Joseph Barry, to whom much was owing, was silenced by a downpour" (Gutsche, 1970: 129) Masons in the service of John Montagu (the road-maker) John, Henry and G. Higgs were used for construction (also Radford 1979:207).

In 1911 a new Christ Church was built.


Writings about this entry

Gutsche, Thelma. 1970. The Bishop's Lady. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pg 129
Martin, Desmond. 2005. The Bishop's churches. Cape Town: Struik. pg 36-37
Menache, Philippe & David, Darryl Earl. 2012. A Platteland Pilgrimage : 102 country churches of South Africa . South Africa: Booktown Richmond Press. pg 12
Radford, D. 1979. The architecture of the Western Cape, 1838 1901. A study of the impact of Victorian aesthetics and technology on South African architecture. Johannesburg: Unpublished Ph.D thesis. Dept of Arch. University of the Witwatersrand. pg 207

Contact Artefacts please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.