|Date:||1848-1850 : 1868 : 1893 : 1900||Type:||Anglican Church|
32°15'03.45" S 24°32'12.27" E Alt: 755m
Click on map for Google Maps
Designed in 1848 and completed in 1850. The Chancel and sanctuary were added 18 years later in 1868 and a Lady Chapel in 1893. The rectory was built in 1897and finally a vestry was added in 1900. It was declared a National Monument on the 8 August 1996.
The Church is extant and has a plaque located on the external wall from the Graaff-Reinet Heritage Society, which reads as follows:
ST JAMES THE GREAT
Oldest Church still used for Worship in Graaff-Reinet
Adapted from a design by Sophie Gray
Consecrated by Bishop Robert Gray, First Anglican Bishop in South Africa.
(Gerald Humphrey, October 2017)
Writings about this entry
|Greig, Doreen. 1971. A Guide to Architecture in South Africa. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pg 120|
|Martin, Desmond. 2005. The Bishop's churches. Cape Town: Struik. pg 20-21|
|Radford, D. 1979. The architecture of the Western Cape, 1838 1901. A study of the impact of Victorian aesthetics and technology on South African architecture. Johannesburg: Unpublished Ph.D thesis. Dept of Arch. University of the Witwatersrand. pg 207|